[squid-users] Poor performance and errors with Squid 3.0

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:34:32 +0100

I installed squid-3.0-PRE3-20050111 as a vanilla web proxy. I changed
http_port, http_access (allow all), and visible_host from the default
configuration. The performance with this setup is extremely poor. I can
generally access simple web pages reasonably quickly, but some "complex" web
pages, such as cnn.com and zdnet.com front pages take forever to load, 5
minutes or more. Also, images are randomly broken, even on small pages such
as the google.com front page and for example on slashdot.org, but not all
images, only some.

This happens with the above squid version compiled with no option, but also
with the options that the Fedora Core 3 RPMs use:

   --exec_prefix=/usr \
   --bindir=%{_sbindir} \
   --libexecdir=%{_libdir}/squid \
   --localstatedir=/var \
   --sysconfdir=/etc/squid \
   --enable-poll \
   --enable-snmp \
   --enable-removal-policies="heap,lru" \
   --enable-storeio="null,ufs" \
   --enable-ssl \
   --with-openssl=/usr/kerberos \
   --enable-delay-pools \
   --enable-linux-netfilter \
   --with-pthreads \
   --enable-ntlm-auth-helpers="SMB,winbind" \
   --enable-external-acl-helpers="ip_user,ldap_group,unix_group,wbinfo_group,winbind_group"\
   --enable-auth="basic,ntlm" \
   --with-winbind-auth-challenge \
   --enable-useragent-log \
   --enable-referer-log \
   --disable-dependency-tracking \
   --enable-cachemgr-hostname=localhost \
   --disable-ident-lookups \
   --enable-truncate \
   --enable-underscores \
   --datadir=%{_datadir} \
   --enable-basic-auth-helpers="LDAP,MSNT,NCSA,PAM,SMB,YP,getpwnam,multi-domain-NTLM,SASL,winbind"\

I even tried increasing all the memory options significantly, to no avail.
The machine has plenty of idle memory and CPU.

Using the squid version supplied with Fedora Core 3, squid-2.5.STABLE6, using
the same configuration changes, I can surf quickly across all sites without
errors.

Does anyone have an idea what might cause this misbehavior?