RE: [squid-users] filtering/proxy options?

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:53:08 -0900

Well, transparent proxies are not allowed by the HTTP standard. Squid can
be asked to work in a transparent mode, and does (for the most part) work.
But there are occasional hiccups. Henrik Nordstrom (the squid developer
most active on the list) is constantly telling people that using squid in
transparent mode should only be done as a last resort.

Squid is, however compatible with Cisco's WCCP (version 1, IIRC).

With that said, Squid's ACLs are simply amazing. I don't know if there is
anything (allowed by HTTP) they can't do. Time base, IP based, domain
based, authentication base etc, it's all there. And if you find something
that it can't do, it has a directive to use external acls, with very ACLs
caching. It's quite flexible.

As for filtering, I've heard (and read) good things about DansGuardian.
Never used it myself, but there it is all the same.

I also imagine there are downloadable files that you can use with squid for
filtering. Others on the list might know more about this than I.

Chris