Re: [squid-users] Is it possible to ignore parts of or all parts of a query string?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:02:14 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Anders Nordby wrote:

> Because of this I'm considering to not use Squid for caching these files
> at all. The application vendor says they do not recommend using
> non-random URLs for the files, which effectively prevents Squid from
> caching them easily.

Which is probably why they do not recommend using non-random URLs in the
first place.. they do not wan't proxies to cache the requests as this
would give the users a better experience visiting your site ;-)

The reason to this is most likely that they have got too many questions
from uninformed webmasters running into cache problems when updating
previously published URLs with new content. Another reason could be too
low request ratio in the statistics, indicating the content is viewed less
often than it really is due to proxies caching the requests to the joy of
everyone involved except for the usage statistics.

A third reason could obviously be that they have this recommendation
because many use their software to publish non-static content frequently
changing and their software can not express this properly in the HTTP
headers..