Re: [squid-users] Help me About Squid

From: Oliver Hookins <ohookins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:44:31 +1100

Umar Draz wrote:
> hi dear members
>
> i have a cable internet setup now i want configure for proxy server
> thats why i have installe squid with these options
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/squid --exec-prefix=/usr/loocal/squid
> --enable-delay-pools --enable-poll --disable-ident-loookups
> --enable-cache-digests --enable-removal-policies=heap,lru
>
> i have P4 Intel Based Server with 512MB RAM 60GB Hardisk
>
> this is my partion table
>
> / 1000MB
> swap 1100MB
> /usr 3000MB
> /var 3000MB
> /home 1500MB
> /cache 50400MB
>
> this is my squid.conf setting
>
> http_port 3128
> icp_port 3130
>
> cache_mem 300 MB
> cache_swap_low 90
> cache_swap_high 95
> maximum_object_size 1024 KB
> minimum_object_size 0 KB
> maximum_object_size_in_memory 600 KB
> ipcache_size 9024
> ipcache_low 90
> ipcache_high 95
> fqdncache_size 9024
> cache_replacement_policy heap LFUDA
> memory_replacement_policy heap LFUDA
>
> cache_dir ufs /cache 50000 16 256
> cache_access_log /var/log/squid/access.log
> cache_store_log none
>
> now my question is this when i choose cache_replacement _policy heap
> LFUDA and memory_replacement_policy heap LFUDA then what should be
> maximum_object_size ?????
>
> i have 512MB ram and 1100MB swap
> now questions is this i have set 5GB /cache so what should be cache_mem ???
>
> and also help if i have missed any option during installation squid.
>
> thanks and regards
>
> Umar Draz

Umar,

maximum_object_size is more to do with how large the objects are that
you want to cache. For example in our office proxy I like to cache
microsoft service packs that are downloaded, so I have upped the
maximum_object_size to 250 MB. Since your bandwidth is probably not
going to be sufficient for delivering such large objects straight out of
memory I wouldn't worry about making the maximum_object_size_in_memory
much larger than it already is.

If you check out the archives you will see that the rule of thumb for
disk cache to memory cache is about 100:1 (if I remember correctly). So
for a 5GB disk cache you should have 50MB of memory to handle it.

Anyway that's my contribution, I'm sure others will also have something
to say about your configuration options.

Regards,
Oliver