[squid-users] digest

From: David <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:12:24 +1100

Hi All,

I've just set up Squid on a Debian Sarge box and tried to configure it
so that it will proxy/cache for my local network which is connected via
ISDN to my ISP. When I run Squid, and make the first request for a
webpage, it appears to go off and try to get the file
/squid-internal-periodic/store_digest from the nominated parent (ISP
runs Squid 2.5.). This file is some 6MB is size and uses most of my
link's resources to download. I am not sure what happens next but I see
a continual transfer of data at about 6MB per hour (in darkstat) making
me think that the digest file is constantly being downloaded.

I don't really need the digest anyway as I only have one access point to
the wider world and no other sibling caches, just the ISP parent. I've
tried various squid.conf configurations and nothing works right. I
either get it working with the parent and downloading my wanted webpages
BUT along with the %&# digest OR my proxy tries to access the wanted
webpages directly and the ISP firewall stops that.

Any way I can get squid to simply act as a local caching proxy, getting
non-locally stored stuff from a single parent proxy without dwonloading
the digest almost contunuously? Has anyone else seen this digest info
continuously flowing? I am assuming that the problem is mine as I have
another box running Squid 2.2.STABLE6 and it works fine.

Thanks for any help.
David...