Re: [squid-users] tcp errors

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 00:56:52 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, David wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have squid running on a Debian Sarge Linux server, acting as a caching
> proxy. When squid is initially started nothing much happens (as it should),
> but once squid has been accessed by a client machine I will get HEAPS (about
> 6MB/hour) of tcp traffic which is just errors and retries. Here is a sample
> of the errors taken from a tcpdump. Port 8000 is another squid proxy server
> at my ISP, my clients are accessing my squid proxy at myServer:8080 ....
>
> [TCP Dup Ack 598#1] 8000 > 1759
> 8000 > 1760 [Ack]
> 1760 > 8000 [Ack]
> [TCP Previous segment lost] 8000 > 1760
> [TCP Dup Ack 613#1] 1760 > 8000 [ACK]
> [TCP Retransmission] 8000 > 1760 [ACK]

Looks like the TCP stacks of your Squid server and the ISP proxy heavily
disagrees in how the TCP/IP protocol works, possibly due to a firewall
messing things up inbetween them...

Squid has no control of the TCP/IP packet details such as retransmissions,
lost packets etc. Squid runs ontop of your OS TCP/IP implementation which
cares about all these details of TCP/IP.