Re: [squid-users] Squid limits and hardware spec

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 02:01:34 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Martin Marji Cermak wrote:

> probably means a disk bottleneck. But it will be the log disk, because I use
> an IDE disk for log (with log_mime_header on, so I get an 500 MB acccess.log
> per hour).

I seriously dout IDE would be a source of a bottleneck here.. Reasonably
modern IDE easily gives transfer rates at least in the range of
30MB/second. Just make sure DMA is enabled (usually is, but use hdparm to
make sure).

What IDE is poor on compared to SCSI is seeks, but there is barely any
seeks in access.log writing.

Very interesting stats btw.