Re: [squid-users] Number of Authenticators

From: Kinkie <kinkie-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:31:02 +0100

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 19:50 +1030, David Brown wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Had a quick look around on the internet but couldn't find any info on
> this topic.
>
> How many users / connections can each external authenticator handle,
> specifically the squid_ldap_auth and squid group authenticators? Ie
> looking to match a number of authenticators to number of concurrent
> users eg 1000 users = 10 authenticators.

There is not much data on this, because it depends on factors such as
the "burstiness" of new users' arrival and on the quickness of the
authentication backend.
Especially for Basic authentication you don't usually need many
authenticators, in general in my experience 1 authenticator every 1000
users, with a minimum of 3, may do just fine in "normal" situations.
You can then tune this parameter by looking at the messages in
cache.log: squid will complain when the pending requests queue will get
too long.

        Kinkie