[squid-users] How to improve speed to access foreign sites/ Squid Access cache mechanism

From: Seewo Chen <Seewo.Chen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:05:06 +0800

Hi, everybody
     At first I must tell you my location which is in china.
     I installed squid2.5 Stable7 based on Redhat9.0 in recently day. But I meet
some troubles:
     The cache effect is very visible when I surf internal site or foreign sites
that the response time is quick throught squid proxy server , but it is very
slow when I access oracle.com or hp.com. even if I access oracle.com twice/three
times at sequential time. The following is relative test data, I add the site
response speed from
http://www.linkwan.com/gb/broadmeter/speed/responsespeedtest.htm:
Remark: Response time (sec) is the time I access the home page of relative
sites, from I commit request to the status bar display Done.
|----------------------+-----+-----------------+------------------|
| Web Sites |Time | Site response | Response time |
| | | Speed (sec) | (sec) |
|----------------------+-----+-----------------+------------------|
| | 1st | 3.57 | 68 |
|----------------------+-----+-----------------+------------------|
| | 2nd | 9.52 | 30 |
|----------------------+-----+-----------------+------------------|
| oracle.com | 3rd | 6.21 | 30 |
|----------------------+-----+-----------------+------------------|
| | 1st | 0.79 | 5 |
|----------------------+-----+-----------------+------------------|
| | 2nd | 0.45 | 3 |
|----------------------+-----+-----------------+------------------|
| dell.com | 3rd | 0.41 | 3 |
|----------------------+-----+-----------------+------------------|
| | 1st | 1.65 | 5 |
| | 2nd | 0.15 | 2 |
| www.sohu.com | 3rd | 0.17 | 2 |

     Now, any idea about squid access cache mechanism? what will do before squid
put page to client IE browse?

Thanks,
Seewo