[squid-users] squid not caching files to disk

From: Ben O'Shea <roadeh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:48:02 +1000

Hi all,
     I have a problem with squid not writing files to its
cache directories. My squid setup is like so:

squid+ntlm --> Dans Guardian --> squid

The toplevel squid is non-caching (null cache_dir) and is used for
NTLM authentication and passing requests to DansGuardian, which then
filters the request or passes the request on to the bottom layered
squid which (should) take care of fetching the page and caching it to
disk/memory whatever. The bottom level squid is configured to roughly
use the majority of a 29GB partition, this is verified from the
logfile:

2005/01/12 18:53:40| Swap maxSize 23552000 KB, estimated 1811692 objects

When I originally configured this cache, I left the cache_dir settings
to the default 128MB or 125MB or whatever it is (yeah, my bad). Soon
after deploying the server, realising my mistake I reconfigured it
like so:

cache_dir ufs /var/spool/squid 23000 16 256

Now, my problem is that about a month or so later after, usage on my
swap disk is still sitting at 126MB and i'm almost certainly sure it
should be showing much larger usage (this cache is fairly heavily
used).

I've tried doing a full restart of the squid since reconfiguring it
(instead of just a squid -k reconfigure to kick the new config in).
I've also tried stopping the cache and re-creating the swap
directories (over the top of existing directories, havent tried
completely removing and re-creating).

Config files can be viewed at:
http://www.nct.com.au/conf/squid.conf - bottom (caching) layer config
http://www.nct.com.au/conf/squidntlm.conf - top (ntlm) layer config

Is there something obvious I am missing here?

Cheers,
Ben

--
In God We Trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.