[squid-users] Bandwidth Control using Delay Pool. Help !

From: Anandh G <anandhg02@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:26:13 -0800 (PST)

I am running Squid (squid-2.5.STABLE5-4.fc2.2) on
Redhat FC-2. I want to implement a Bandwidth control
for my workstations to the Internet using Squid Delay
pool. I am having a 256Kbps Internet link.

I have some queries

1. someone from my office said me that Squid delay
pool will some time loose the bandwidth restriction
and will allow the users to use the full bandwidth.

2. If I resctict the bandwidth for some, 5 users, to
128Kbps on a 256Kbps link, will all the other users,
who are not in the restriction(Delay Pool) list, have
the full 256Kbps bandwidth, when those 5 users are not
using their 128Kbps bandwidth.

3. I want to confirm the 1st point, because I have one
requirement in my client place like, they are having a
256Kbps link in which the ISP will give the 64Kbps as
dedicated and the rest 192Kbps will be on the charging
basis. So if my client crosses 64Kbps, they will be
charged on how much Kb they have used. So, Only if
they require 192Kbps, they can switch to the full B/W
      I will set the bandwidth restriction to 64Kbps
using Squid Delay Pool, and when required full B/W I
will make the limit to 256Kbps. Will this work
perfectly? Because if the Delay Pool malfunctions and
allow more B/W when rescricted to 64Kbps, my clients
should pay for every Kb.

=====
Regards,
AnandhG