[squid-users] Authentication

From: Matthew J. Brown <mjb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:11:37 -0600

Greetings,

I'm the systems administrator for 3 offices all located within one building.
Each office has their own private network and every request out to port 80
from the network is forced through Squid via iptables/portforwarding.

Here's my question. Given that each office has their own private network,
Squid only sees the IP address of the routers and not of each individual
client IP.

What I would like is to be able to log a client ip/username/machine
name/something along with the http request. I've been playing around with
Squid authentication but have not had much luck getting it to work. Would
this even accomplish my goal? If so, how does one turn on authentication
within Squid?

I've compiled the basic module and enabled everything I believe there is to
be enabled according to the Squid docs.. I've configured my ACL's according
to what I've read on the web and when I turn it all on, I get "Access
denied", rather than a prompt to login.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
- Matt

dangerous content and is believed to be clean.