Re: [squid-users] Re: transparent proxy + web content filter problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 02:44:08 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Adam Aube wrote:

>> iptables interception normally does not have any speed difference compared
>> to directly configuring the proxy settings.
>
> "Speed" in terms of bandwidth or latency? A site I worked at saw browsing
> latency drop significantly after switching away from transparent proxying.

It should not have any noticeable impact on either.

> Of course, it could have been something else besides the iptables
> redirection - extra DNS lookups, perhaps?

Yes, there will be extra DNS lookups when doing interception, but this
should only be noticeable on the first request and only if the clients
uses different DNS servers than the proxy. If both uses the same DNS
servers then the difference should not be noticeable even on the first
request as the response is cached in the DNS server, immediately available
for Squid to use.