[squid-users] user/error keywords in external_acl conf

From: Marcos Machado <listas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:48:46 -0200

Ladies and gentlemen,

I've a question about external_acls and I would like to ask you for
help. We have a set of external acls running on our Squid2.5STABLE7
doind a lot of checks to restrict some kind of access (traffic limit,
source ip, blacklisted urls etc).

Our users are getting a bit confused when a site is blocked, because the
external acl doesn't give them a reason. My helpdesk is always populated
with questions about "Why can't I access this site?" just because my
ERR_ACCESS_DENIED says only "Access denied".

But... At squid.conf, we have:

[quote squid.conf]
The helper receives lines per the above format specification, and
returns lines starting with OK or ERR indicating the validity of the
request and optionally followed by additional keywords with more
details.

   General result syntax:

     OK/ERR keyword=value ...

   Defined keywords:

     user= The users name (login)
     error= Error description (only defined for ERR results)
[/quote squid.conf]

Does anyone know what its purpose? Can I use these output strings in my
ERR_* pages to help my users with more specific error messages?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Marcos Machado