[squid-users] Problem with FTP upload through squid : truncated files

From: Henri Walazo <henri.walazo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:46:44 +0100

Hello,

I'm using Squid 2.5 STABLE6 (binary version from my Fedora Core 3),
and I'm trying to make ftp upload work.
Before I try to set more complex ACLs, I simply allowed anyone to
access to everything (it's only for the first tests of course).
I also commented the line that denied CONNECT to non ssl ports.

The result of my first tests are :
- no problem with HTTP download
- no problem with HTTP upload
- no problem with FTP download
- but strange problem with FTP upload :
I configured my ftp client (filezilla, opensource - cf
filezilla.sf.net) to use an http proxy, I set the correct address and
port, and then I successfully connected to an external ftp.
My client correctly lists the files and folders on my ftp account, and
I can succesfully download any files from this ftp.
But, if I try to upload a file, it is transferred incompletely to the
server, without any error message. The client thinks the transfer is
ok, although it is obviously not.
For example, when I try to upload a 79 kbytes html file, sometimes I
get on the server side a 13 or 65 or 37 kbytes file, it doesn't
truncate at the same size for each try with the same file.
I get this problem whether I use ascii or binary mode.
Same problem if I use smartftp instead of filezilla.
I don't see any error in access.log (I can post it if necessary)
And of course I don't limit the size of the transfers in squid.conf

Does anybody have an idea of how to solve this problem ?

I know that squid is not a true ftp proxy, but if this problem was
solved, it would do everything that I need with ftp. Besides, I prefer
not to use a distinct ftp proxy, because I intend to use squid with
ldap authentication (with ldap groups and users), and with restricted
ftp access (only a few people will have to use ftp upload, but this
functionnality is required).

Thank you very much for any advice for my ftp upload problem,
    Henri