[squid-users] Local cache skipped; always goes to parent

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:22:07 -0500

It appears that my local cache is completely bypassed in favor of a parent
proxy.

I need to have my Squid (v2.5S7 + patches) call a parent proxy for
authentication. After making what seemed to be reasonable additions to
my squid.conf file, I find that I can in fact run through the parent
proxy, but that the local cache is not used at all.

These are the lines added to my config:

 cache_peer proxy.domain.tld parent 1080 7 no-query login=myname:mypass
 acl allsrc src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
 never_direct allow allsrc

Basically I want the parent cache to be called for any objects that can't
be satisfied from the local cache, and that the objects gotten from the
parent be cached locally. The non-use of my local cache is so complete,
though, that I suspect I am bass-ackwards. I think I must be telling
Squid that I want the parent queried for every request, though that isn't
my reading of the "cache_peer" doc.

I should note that my local Squid config worked great until the need for
parent authentication prompted me to add the above lines to my config.

Advice, please?