[squid-users] RE: squid performance

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:15:21 -0500

Please don't top post (which is putting your reply above the original
message) - it makes the thread hard to follow.

Daniel Navarro wrote:
> --- Elsen Marc <elsen@imec.be> escribió:

>>> what is the squid performance parameter that shows
>>> me how much efficient it is?

>> Define efficient.

>>> what is the squid parameter that shows me how much
>>> bandwidth have saved?

>> http://www.squid-cache.org/Scripts/

> Maybe I don't know how to make the correct question.

> I already have webalizer, SARG, Squid
> Logbuchauswertung and calamaris.

Calamaris is a good source of information on general proxy performance.

> What are the important parameters to measure and what
> does they mean?
>
> What tells me how many pages or files are taking from
> cache instead of internet?
>
> What tells me how much bandwidth is being saved?

One of the output sections of Calamaris, "Incoming TCP-requests by status",
will show the number and percentage of requests and bytes that are cache
hits. For cache hits, requests are the number of items that were served
from the cache and not from the Internet, and bytes are the amount of
bandwidth that was saved.

See the sample Calamaris HTML report for a view of this (note that this
report is more verbose - a less verbose version can also be generated).

http://cord.de/tools/squid/calamaris/calamaris-2.html

Adam