RE: [squid-users] Failing to serve cached objects

From: <johnsuth@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:49:54

> O'Reilly's Definitive Guide to HTML and XHTML has no reference in the index for either
> Expires or Cache-control, so why would any web page contain such information?

A web page wouldn't, but the HTTP response containing the HTML object/page
may.

Surely the web page author (i.e. myself) is responsible for specifying expiry and cache
control details?

> It looks like Squid will fail to serve most web pages. Is this a correct interpretation?

Squid follows the HTTP specifications on what may be cached, and quite
closely matches what the cacheability check engine reports.

You can tweak this in by the refresh_pattern setting.

This is what I did before and got myself into terrible trouble.

Do you have any suggestions for what to change?