[squid-users] Re: Printing problem

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 17:09:26 -0500

Daniel Navarro wrote:

> Since I migrated from windows to linux gateway with
> squid sometimes clients can´t print, have to reboot
> clients in order to fix it.

I've had the same issues on every Windows network I've worked with. Windows
printing is just plain flaky sometimes. Squid has nothing to do with
printing, so this definitely isn't a Squid issue.

Is is possibly an issue with your Linux gateway, but only if one of the
following is true:

1) The gateway is also a network print server
2) Clients go through the gateway to get to the print server

If either of those is true, I would suggest asking on a mailing list for
your Linux distribution.

> What is the printing network port?

Depends on how you are printing. Check your client configuration.

Windows File/Print Sharing usually uses TCP ports 139 or 445 (depending on
client and server Windows version). Network printing via LPR/LPD is on TCP
port 515. Raw printing to many networked printers (such as HP JetDirect
print servers) is on TCP port 9100.

Again, this isn't a Squid issue, so you will likely get more useful help by
asking on a different list.

Adam