[squid-users] Re: Re: Squid "access.log" problem.

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:59:44 -0500

Please don't top post (which is putting your reply above the original
message) - it makes the thread hard to follow.

ads squid wrote:
> --- Adam Aube <aaube01@baker.edu> wrote:
>> ads squid wrote:

>>> SARG report "IN-CACHE-OUT" shows me total 1132 MB which is
>>> based on squid 'acsess.log' file. This does not match with ISP's usage
>>> report that is 3750 MB. I am paying My ISP on data transfer.

>> Two sources come to mind:
>>
>> 1) Non-HTTP traffic that isn't processed by Squid.
>> 2) TCP/IP protocol overhead for HTTP traffic (which isn't included in the
>> access.log data).

>> Your best solution would be to use a low-level tool that tracks the
>> traffic sent and received at the network interface level. The "ifconfig"
>> command on Linux includes information on bytes sent and received
>> for each network interface, and a search for "ip accounting" or "traffic
>> accounting" should turn up some other solutions.

> In my case port 80 is redirected to 3128 to use squid
> transperent proxy. Will squid access.log file collect
> data transfer from port used by Kazza, Instant
> Messenger?

Only if these programs are configured to tunnel over port 80. If they use
their native protocols and ports, they would fall under the "Non-HTTP
traffic" source I mentioned before, and wouldn't be counted by Squid.

> This diff. in data transfer might be due to data
> uploading from ports used by Kazza, IM, etc.

Possibly.

Adam