Re: [squid-users] squid auth. using basic and ntlm

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:44:27 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Xavier Callejas wrote:

> But like that IE works fine, but msn messenger don't, seems to be like msn
> mssgr don't get the basic auth config.
>
> Buth if I revert the order, basic first, IE ask for user and password and msn
> mssgr works fine.

I am sorry, but you are running into this problem because neither MSIE of
MSN Messenger works properly, and from what I can tell you can't work
around both problems at the same time.

A HTTP client is supposed to select the strongest of the offered
authentication methods, and to ignore the authenitcations methods it does
not support. MSIE fails on the first critieria and requires ntlm to be
first, msn messenger apparently fails on both criterias...