[squid-users] Squid slows down when a file with more than 25000 URLs to block is loaded

From: Pablo Romero <psromerozu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:20:03 +0000

Hello

I am running Squid 2.5 Stable 6 on a Pentium4 1.8 Ghz and 256 Mbytes RAM. I
am trying to put this proxy in a production environment soon, but, although
squid is performing just fine all tasks, when I began to try the ACL tests,
it seems to slow down (very much) when a blacklist file is loaded. The
configuration is the following:

acl denegar url_regex "/opt/squid/blacklist"

This blacklist file has 25000 sites on it, and it seems to take down squid.
I don't know if you guys can provide me some tips so I can tune up my squid
proxy. Can you tell me if I am using the wrong hardware configuration, if I
need more RAM, or if I just have to change some stuff in the squid.conf
file.

I'd appreciate your help

Regards

Pablo Romero