Re: [squid-users] configure: error: ls -t appears to fail

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:08:09 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Sam Halliday wrote:

> Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>> Can you be more specific on which sanity check is broken?
>
> on lines 833 to 870. i have copied those relevant lines into a script of its
> own and ran it... and it passes. so there must be something higher in the
> configure script which breaks this test. (so, its not actually the test which
> is broken but that the configure script might set something higher up which
> breaks the test)

This test looks exacly the same in current versions of autoconf.

> sorry i can't be more specific... i never quite figured out what *exactly*
> broke this test, but lots of people have gotten the same failure on configure
> scripts made from older autoconf's on various platforms... a quick google for
> the subject of this mail will confirm that. it might not even be a coreutils
> issue.

Tried to find any, but all I could find attributed to having environment
variables screwing up the output of ls due to forced output coloring and
the like.

> i'd suggest you just remove that check from the configure script as it is
> kinda stupid anyway.

The test as such is not that stupid. The main reason of this check is to
verify that your clock is reasonably correct (later than when the release
was made).

The way it is done can be said to be stupid. Would be better to use test
-nt for this purpose.