Re: [squid-users] Squid Sizing and other things

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:59:17 +0100

On 27.01 15:00, Maik Ihde wrote:
> We bought 2 HP ProLiant DL360 G4 Servers, each with one 3.4 Ghz Xeon
> CPU, 2 GB Ram and 2 fast 15krpm 36GB SCSI Harddisks. The Disks are
> configured as a Hardware-Raid 0 Stripe set. We had to use Red Hat Linux
> 7.3 because our Trend Micro Virus Wall would not support actual Stuff
> like Fedora officially.

Do not use stripping for squid caches. squid has its own way for using
multiple drives, which is safer and more effective.

Use sepatate drives, filesystems and cache dirs.
Kernel and system may be on separate drived or raid1 (mirror) for safety

> We used a custom made rpm (based on the work of the swelltech.com guys)
> for Squid2.5Stable6 (we will probably update to Stable8 when it's out)
> and are using diskd. The Cache lies on a ReiserFS Partition which is
> about 50 GB. (The other partitions are "standard" ext3). Both Proxies
> have the other configured as neighbour cache and on both the parent is
> the VirusWall (3.81), which is also installed on the Squid Boxes.

You should use aufs on linux, it behaves better than diskd.

Posli tento mail 100 svojim znamim - nech vidia aky si idiot
Send this email to 100 your friends - let them see what an idiot you are