RE: [squid-users] NNTP protocol port 119 throuh squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 23:26:12 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, K. Yntema wrote:

> When i shutdown Squid i can use NNTP and have no problems, but when
> squid is started I can't make a NNTP connection So squid blocks the
> NNTP protocol.

I can assure you that Suqid does nothing of the kind.

What I can think of maybe relating to this is either

a) (unlikely) You use a web browser to connect to NNTP and this web
browser has HTTP proxy support for NNTP. If this is the case then just
tell your browser to not use the proxy for NNTP. HTTP proxying of NNTP is
very limited in functionality and in fact not implemented at all in Squid.

b) (more likely) Maybe your script which starts Squid also sets up
firewalling rules blocking NNTP access.