Re: [squid-users] Is this the correct patch to use?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 23:36:19 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Ray Charles wrote:

> I am running squid-2.5.stable-7 on RHEL-3. I am seeing
> multiple requests for the same web object and its
> creating a bottle-neck. The original request appears
> to never be cachable. After some reading and googling
> I'am thinking that the collapse_forwarding patch will
> help me. What else should I check??

The collapsed_forwarding patch is explicitly designed for the situation
you describe, but only when the reply is cacheable.

If the reply is not cacheable then collapsed_forwarding will cause
additional latency as the second/third/... requests will then be delayed
until Squid learns from the first request that the reply is not cacheable
(repeated each time there is no concurren request for the same object).