RE: [squid-users] slow access on private webserver using squid

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:55:24 -0900

switch<--------------------->squid
> (192.168.20.x) |
(192.168.20.1)

> CISCO 2600 ROUTER
> |

> INTERNET
>
> With this setup, traffic coming from the internet via my squid server is
> really fast, while accessing my private webserver is just like im on
modem.
> If i delete those Internet options on IE, and access it by
> http://192.168.20.201 or by using http://myprivweb, its really fast..why?
Is
> there any special config on this? I already configured IE not to use proxy
> if access my private web server.
>
> If I dont include my proxy ip address on IE, that would definitely cut the
> internet access to those workstations. I want a 24 hour internet access
and
> want a fast connection to my private webserver at the same time.
>

> Hope you can shed light on this matter.
>

> TIA

Is the 3com switch managed, or is it just a simple plug and go? Routing
local traffic through the router can have a bad effect on speed.

Is the Squid server set up to use a parent cache? If it's trying to pass
traffic to a parent cache that can't access the site, it will have to wait
for a timeout before trying to go direct.

Are you trying to access the webserver (through squid) using
http://myprivweb or a fully qualified domain name
http://myprivweb.domain.tld? Squid may be set up to append a domain
(imaginatively called append_domain) to requests that appear to need it.

Does the squid server use different DNS resolvers than your clients? If
it's trying to resolve this domain from a server that knows nothing, but
tries really hard to find an answer... Look for a configuration directive
called dns_nameservers.

Chris