RE: [squid-users] need to change file file descriptors size ?

From: Joost de Heer <sanguis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:09:19 +0100 (CET)

>> I want to know, it's need to change file descriptors up to 8192 ?
>> What effect to my system if I up to 8192 ? i'm use linux.
>> Thanks,

> Check the SQUID FAQ on this issue.

FAQ only explains -how- to increase the limit, not what the impact is. Or
perhaps I've missed a section....

The need is dependant on how heavily your proxy will be used. I'd go for
an initial filedesc limit of 4096, monitor the usage, and increase if you
get 'out of descriptors' errors.

I have a Linux machine here with a filedesc limit of 16384, and I don't
notice a performance degradation.

Joost