Re: [squid-users] Slow file download / read_timeout

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 01:17:31 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 adame780@bellsouth.net wrote:

> I have a problem that I cant seem to figure out, hopefully somone can help.
>
> I have a single proxy server which does not cache and all users are forced to
> go through for internet access. A few users have to download msword, excel and
> other random files from several remote webservers (different networks,
> operating systems, basically nothing in common remotely). It seems that when
> users download txt files there is not a problem but when downloading a msword doc
> (or other) it takes 15 minutes to completet the action. The files are not large, under 100kb, so it is like the download does not start for 15 minutes. It is always the same time so I
> looked for this value in the squid.conf and found read_timeout. Changing this
> from default 15 minutes to 1 minutes allowed the docs to download in 1 min. I thought I was on to
> something, but there really must be a better way. I looked at the mime.conf
> thinking maybe it was something there but all looks good and in the logs squid is logging the proper mime type.

Setting read_timeout low will cause Squid to terminate the request when
the read_timeout expires. If nothing at all has been received yet the
request will be automatically retried.

This indicates if anything that there is a network level problem causing
this kinds of requests to get stuck, quite likely dependent on how fast
the remote server returns the response.

First thing to verify is that your proxy server and the switch agrees on
the port speed and duplex. Things will behave very erraticly if there is
an disagreement.