[squid-users] do we already have support for gzip/deflate in Squid?

From: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:45:43 +0100

Hello,

As far as I know, Squid doesn't support gzip/deflate.

As I was playing with Ethereal, I captured some packets between Squid
and my Apache, and to my surprise, these were compressed using gzip/deflate!

I checked several times, I even changed the User agent's header with
header_replace to see if the packets are really coming from Squid - and
they were.

I checked that against several other web servers in the net, and some of
the transmission (from the servers that support it) was compressed using
gzip/deflate.

The pages saved in Squid cache were not compressed, though, but this is
not an issue.

How is it possible?

To my "tests" I was using squid-2.5.STABLE6, Mozilla Firefox 1.0 and
Ethereal 0.10.9.

Tomek