Re: [squid-users] Squid, storage size and other questions...

From: H Matik <h@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:30:53 -0200

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 13:49, you wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 12:41 -0200, H Matik wrote:
> > On Wednesday 09 February 2005 11:22, Elsen Marc wrote:
>

> What do you mean by "using two front ends"? Maybe I didn't understand
> but how can I use two frontend, I can make client (browser) use only one
> proxy at the time! Moreover, what do you mean by "using squid.conf
> technics to get the best out of it"? Maybe using ICP as I was thinking
> (but in that case I have a problem of waster of storage space when the
> squid get via ICP the file from the other and cache the file for itself
> too!)!?

You can use one cache server for your clients but this one can have one, two
or more parents. Means the backend server which is the visible cache for your
clients queries the frontend caches. So you could set up one with the
minimum_object_size 2048 KB
maximum_object_size 512000 KB
what means this one will not store on disks any objects less then 2MB and not
larger the 512MB the other you configure
maximum_object_size 2048 KB

Then with the proper cache_peer settings the backend server should get icp
replies about what each has on disk and so you can have e fast rotating
content on the small object cache and slow rotating large objects on the
other. So you may set something like this
cache_peer large_object_ip 8080 3130 parent proxy-only (for not storing the
files again)
cache_peer small_object_ip 8080 3130 parent

Depending on your client-number and/or network size you may use a backend
server without caching anything setting both peers to proxy only and a null
cache_dir if the three are talking fast enought between them

You may consider tweaking the quick_abort values on the large_object cache
also and sure you need to set refresh_patterns to your convinience.
You should set always_direct and never_direct in order to make this
combination work good.

With such setups which are easy and cheap we get considerable impacts on
bandwidth reduction, sometimes you need to look at the trio some days to get
the best out of it. Like one said before the small_object cache do not need
to be so big and it may even be bad but you may consider some GB as base
number or whatever your network pushes in 10 - 20 days but you need to figure
it out on your hardware for your network.

Hans

> Many thanks for your answer!
>
> Marco
>
> PS: please, do pardon my bad english! :P

Infomatik
(18)8112.7007
http://info.matik.com.br
Mensagens não assinadas com GPG não são minhas.
Messages without GPG signature are not from me.