Re: [squid-users] Suggestion of hardware requirement

From: Kevin <kkadow@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 00:04:01 -0600

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:47:00 +0530, thomas <thomas.xavier@gmail.com> wrote:
> My PIII (2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAm, 40 GM SMART IDE HDD, 100Mbps NIC)
> machine running FC2 and Squid.

Is this a dedicated server just for Squid, or does it serve other needs as well?

> It is expected to server 70 users on for proxing and chaching. Squid.conf has
>
> cache_dir ufs /var/spool/squid 1000 16 256
>
> to assign 1 GB HDD space for cashing and 256 MB RAM.

Actually, that line only sets 1GB of cache dir, does not set 256 MB RAM,
you'll need to adjust cache_mem for setting the amount of RAM used for cached
objects (Squid will actually consume somewhat more than cache_mem RAM,
due to overhead).

> Is this configuration will work. What other sirective I have to set
> better performance. Any suggession or pointer is appreciated.

For enhanced performance, consider adding additional RAM, and
dedicating much more disk to the cache. You might also look at external
issues which could impact performance, such as DNS and your upstream
ISP connection.

Squid will make good use of as much RAM and disk as you can give it. You
can post-process your logs after running for a few weeks to get an idea of how
effective the cache is for your particular userbase. If most of what
is accessed
is SSL and dynamic content, caching doesn't have as much benefit...

Kevin Kadow