Re: [squid-users] two simple questions

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:21:43 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005, Chris Knipe wrote:

> 1) Does squid cache objects locally fetched from a SIBLING parent?, and

Yes, unless you tell it not to.

> 2) Whilst I know squid is not a RTSP / MMS / <add your fav streaming protocol
> here>, what is the standing on HTTP streaming?

It gets passed via the proxy, but not cached, nor is there any stream
splitting, and no plans at all on even caring to try to implement stream
splitting of HTTP streaming.

> Things like NetAPP proxies have a feature where a stream is fetched only
> once, and then distributed from the cache to the clients accessing the
> specific stream.

This is relatively easy to do if you have proxies for the native streaming
protocols. It is not at all easy for HTTP streaming and I seriously doubt
NetAPP does this on HTTP streaming.

> Can something similar be possible on squid (obviously, limited to HTTP
> streaming only). I'm mostly interested in somehow getting shoutcast streams
> to be fetched only once and distributed from the cache to clients. Thus, I
> actually only have one connection from the proxy to the stream, and can have
> say 40 from the proxy to the clients.... I hope this makes sense...

For this you should be using a shoutcast proxy with support for stream
splitting.