Re: [squid-users] Two squid instances based on file types? Is it good?

From: Marco Crucianelli <m.crucianelli@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:24:07 +0100

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 16:10 -0200, H Matik wrote:
> On Friday 18 February 2005 08:34, Marco Crucianelli wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 12:52 -0600, Kevin wrote:
> > > What mechanism are you using to set expire times?
> >
> > Well, I'm still not sure what I shall use! I mean: should I use
> > refresh_pattern!? Or what? I mean, refresh_pattern can let me change
> > refresh period based on sire url right? What' else could I use?!
> >

> when I suggested the choice of two caches, one for small objects and one for
> large objects the focus was not on refresh patterns
>
> the goal here is you can use at very first priority the OS and especially the
> HD System tuned for serving small or large files. This certainly will not be
> possible running two squids on one machine
>
> the second point is that you can use max|min_object_size in order to limit the
> file size you will serve by each server. My experienced showed best results
> breaking at 512K on modern PCs

Do you mean using max_object_size=512K for the small_object squid?

> third step is to use cache_replacement_policy LFUDA/GDSF accordingly and if
> using diskd you may play with Q1 and Q2 what will give you the difference

Yes, I was thinking exactly of using GDS for the small_object squid,
while LFUDA for the big_file squid!

> and to make sense you push from the large_obj_cache with proxy-only set

Right!

> to achieve this correctly you may or should set additional always|never_direct
> for known mpg, avi, wmv,mp3,iso and other so that the small_obj_cache pulls
> them really from the larg_obj_cache
>
> Hans

I was thinking about using ACL regex_url to direct avi,mp3,iso etc from
the small_object (front-end) squid to the big_object (back-end) squid
together with the directive cache_peer_access...do you think I can do it
this way?

But, what about staleness? Can I set up the refresh time in squid...with
which directive?!?!

Once again, may thanks!!!!