Re: [squid-users] Re: Help me About Squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:47:33 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Ric Lonsdale wrote:

> If so why have this setting? I'm missing the point here I'm sure, so please
> advise.

The cache_mem setting is mainly of benefit when Squid is used as a reverse
proxy. Here the whole set of files served by the proxy may fit in the
cache_mem in an very efficient manner and there is practically no need for
disk I/O at all.

In normal Internet proxies this never happens, and cache_mem is better
left close to the default setting to allow the OS to make efficient use of
the RAM to speed up disk I/O buffers etc.