Re: [squid-users] Problem with unparseable HTTP header field

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:09:38 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Reuben Farrelly wrote:

> Want to let them know that they are still sending too many keep-alive
> headers?

Fortunately for Squid this specific error is harmless to all versions of
Squid and completely ignored, and also implicitly cleaned up when the
message is forwarded by Squid due to the nature of the HTTP protocol.

> More generally, how on earth does software manage to screw up something
> simple like an HTTP header so much?

Mostly because noone has cared very much about the integrity or quality of
HTTP headers in the past I guess. This is likely to start changing real
soon I hope.

> Is it usually an application that just appends duplicate headers to what
> was an existing and legitimate header from a web server?

Applications are not supposed to set hop-by-hop headers such as
keep-alive.. this is purely the business of the web server core.

> Or are there known-to-be broken versions of applications out
> there?

Plenty, as have been seen in the last weeks here on squid-users..

If you want to see how bad the situation really is then set

   relaxed_header_parser off

in your squid.conf and watch several major web sites fall down..