Re: [squid-users] Squid, virtual IP and Layer 7 switching...any idea?

From: Marco Crucianelli <m.crucianelli@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:53:37 +0100

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 18:58 +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Marco Crucianelli wrote:
>
> > I mean: what I was thining of was a Layer 7 solution using virtual IP
> > address, just to let the two squid asnwer to the clients without passing
> > back through the Layer 7 machine! In such a case I do need virtual IP
> > and there should surely be some things to modify in squid.conf
>
> No, there is no things to modify in squid.conf when you use a virtual ip.
> Squid configuration is 100% the same as when using NAT.
>
> The difference is in your OS IP configuration only. Not Squid.

Well, I'm sure not that ggod in squid configuration, but thinking about
a layer 7 switching solution using virtual IP, to let squid answer to
clients request directly I should use a TCP handoff. In such a case,
squid needs to use the virtual IP address to answer to clients (binding
squid instance to the virtual IP in squid.conf) while, to speak with its
cache_peer it needs to use its real IP address (using something like
udp_incoming_address and udp_outgoing_address in squid.conf). While, not
using wirtual IP solution but natting only, I don't need neither to bind
squid to wirtual IP nor to change udp_incoming and outgoing_address.

Am I wrong?!?

> Regards
> Henrik

Thanks!