Re: [squid-users] Two squid instances based on file types? Is it good?

From: Marco Crucianelli <m.crucianelli@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:44:46 +0100

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 00:00 +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Many are confused about the relations of cache_peer, never_direct and
> always_direct etc.
>
> cache_peer defines possible paths where Squid MAY forward the request.
>
> cache_peer_access/cache_peer_domain limits when these paths may be
> considered.
>
> always_direct forces Squid to ignore all peers and always go direct for
> the request.
>
> never_direct (when always_direct is not in effect) tells Squid that it may
> not go direct.
>
> when neither always_direct or never_direct is in effect (the default
> situation) Squid is free to choose whatever path it sees most fit for the
> request, and will do this based on a number of criterias.
>
> - type of request
> - hierachy_stoplist
> - prefer_direct on/off
> - ICP status of the possible peers
> - TCP status of the possible peers
> - netdb information
> - etc..
>
> With the goal of finding a reasonable balance between global cache hit
> ratio and request latency.
>
> Normally it selects
>
> 1. The "best" ICP peer or Digest HIT peer.
>
> 2. Direct
>
> 3. Some parent (default, round-robin etc..)
>
> If prefer_direct off then 2 and 3 switches place.
>
> In never_direct then the picture looks somewhat different
>
> 1. The "best" ICP peer or Digest HIT peer.
>
> 2. Some parent (default, round-robin etc..)
>
> 3. All parents.
>
> If always_direct then the picture becomes simply
>
> 1. Direct
>
> Regards
> Henrik

Many many thanks Henrik, this is a very interesting explanation for me!

Thus, knowing now that I should use never_direct and why, supposing that
I want to use a frontend squid that makes a kind of layer 7 switching, I
guess I could use never_direct, together with cache_peer_access ACL
based on file extension, thus I could direct some files to the backend
squid (configuring it like a parent for those request based on certain
file extensions) using proxy-only and another ICP parent (not the
backend one) for the file extensions it should treat on its own!

Well, Henrik, once again many thanks!

Marco