[squid-users] High iowait on Solaris due to access_log?

From: Kevin <kkadow@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:54:30 -0600

I notice that Squid (2.5.STABLE7 and STABLE9) on Solaris 8 (Sparc64
E280R) tends to bog down with iowait, most likely due to logging
overhead. If I disable cache_access_log, responsiveness is good and
the system shows mostly idle, but of course I don't have any access
logs.

Using other proxy software (Apache mod_proxy, etc) on the same exact
machine I had similar performance issues, but was able to work around
the problem by configuring the proxy to use syslog, and writing the
syslog over a network connection instead of writing to the local disk
(I can live with the risk of losing some log data due to the
limitations of network syslog).

Additionally, I have a large farm of cache servers and would like to centralize
all logging on an existing high-throughput syslog collecting host.

Has anybody put together a good patch for Squid (2.5.X) to record access
information via syslog instead of writing to disk? It looks like I could simply
modify logfilePrintf() in logfile.c?

Thanks,

Kevin Kadow

(P.S. Yes, I fully understand the various issues with and drawbacks of
using "syslog" for access logs, particularly across a network.)