[squid-users] Autoconfig proxy settings not functioning as planned.

From: Brad <baskew91@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:13:23 -0600

I have a problem and I'm not sure how to overcome it. I use WPAD
through DNS and it is working fine. My problem, however is that even
though I have the script setup to NOT use the proxy for local traffic,
it still does, or at least I get prompted for username and password
through squid for traffic that is 'supposed' to be local. Which is a
problem for clients that are trying to access the local SUS to get
Windows updates, they cannot pass the credentials to the squid in order
to get through to the SUS....its a bummer. Here is my wpad.dat.

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
     {
         if (isPlainHostName(host) ||
         dnsDomainIs(host, ".mylocaldomain.com"))
         return "DIRECT";
     else
         return "PROXY my.squidcache.com:3128";
     }

I would assume that any time somebody looks up
server.mylocaldomain.com, then squid would let the traffice through
without using authentication, I am wrong.
I am using basic auth for squid. If this is outside the realm of
squid-users help I apologize.

Thanks in advance,
Brad