Re: [squid-users] how to authenticate with Active Directory?

From: Rolf <rolf@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 21:44:45 +1100

If you want to use 'Basic' Auth whereby when a user requests access to
the internet they are asked for their active directory username and
password, you need to define a few things.

First the source of the authentication, in this case the LDAP service
from your active directory server.
Something like this:

auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/ldap_auth -b <BaseDN of where
active directory is> -f (cn=%s) -H ldap://active_directory_hostname

Next is an new type of ACL (access control list) called 'external'
which makes squid consult another source to find out whether some
object is allowed or not. Something like this:

external_acl_type internetusersgroup %LOGIN
/usr/lib/squid/squid_ldap_group -b <BaseDN where active directory is>
-f (&(cn=%u)(memberOf=%g)) -H ldap://active_directory_host -S

Then you need to define an ordinary ACL that calls the proxy
authentication request - so the user sees the username/password dialog:

acl authenticate_user proxy_auth REQUIRED

Finally an ACL that says ask the external ACL type you defined if the
user is in the group:

acl internetusers external internetusersgroup cn=internetusers,<BaseDN
of active directory as above>

Then you can say

http_access allow internetusers authenticated_user

So if the user enters their credentials AND is in the active directory
group you defined, then they will be allowed access.

Obviously you will need more settings such as further http_access rules
for your site and there are several timeout settings associated with
this setup.

The various components are reasonably well documented. Most of the
answers are there.

cheers

r.