Re: [squid-users] Syslog patch for 2.5STABLE9

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:30:22 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Kevin wrote:

> I believe this behavior of syslogd is system dependent. The ultimate solution
> could be to modify squid to either log to a tcp connection (has issues when the
> log sink is not able to accept connections or is lagged) or to just spew the UDP
> packets directly to the wire instead of making calls to syslog().

Some syslog implementations supports logging over TCP, unfortunately this
is not very common. And as you describe it does not guarantee to solve the
problem if the syslog server is a bottleneck (or unreliable)..

To use TCP both the client station syslogd and the log server syslogd
needs to support TCP.