Re: [squid-users] Can't authenticate on a site going through Squid

From: Kinkie <kinkie-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:12:28 +0100

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 16:22, Pedro Timoteo wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm having a weird problem: I can authenticate to the site:
>
> http://olapserver.viatecla.pt/esvcontact/pga/
>
> when connecting directly (using IE or Mozilla), but not going through Squid.
>
> I can't give the username / password pair here, but the username is like
> this: "Something\Somethingelse". Looks like a Windows domain user.

That site likely uses the NTLM authentication scheme.
See the mailing list archives for more examples on the nastiness of that
protocol.

Interestingly enough, Microsoft recommends NOT to use it over the
Internet (and has been doing so for the last 10 years). You should write
the webmaster of that site and ask him to move to a standard
authentication scheme such as Digest or Basic over HTTPS.

        Kinkie