[squid-users] ideas for getting this to work with squid

From: Ray Charles <raycharles_man@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 11:30:42 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

My setup is RHEL-3.1 and
Squid-2.5-STABLE9+collapsed_forwarding turned on.

I am trying to get squid to work in accelerator mode
to provide relief to a backend server. The clients are
set up so they make requests to the squid box but if
squid doesn't have the object in cache, clients go to
my origin server,which is running tomcat. This can
mean several hundred clients going to the origin
server at the same time for the same object. A sad
situation for the origin server.

I would expect that once the object is received from
the origin server it gets cached, but I am seeing that
its not being cached. I've verified that the object
is cachable. When several requests arrive at the same
time I can live with one or two requests going to the
origin server, but I ve got to stop each and every one
of the requests from continuing to pour into the
origin server. How do i get squid to do that??

-any help / pointers / directions to a cliff or bridge
appreciated.

-RAy