Re: [squid-users] Squid 2.5 and FreeBSD with Interception Caching

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 01:38:33 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, lakmal silva wrote:

> FreeBSD 4.8 and WCCP as described in "Squid, the
> definitive guide" by Duane Wessels. I followed exactly
> the procedure given in the book but no luck so far.
> The problem is, WCCP detects the squid server and
> redirects packets to squid. But I don't see any logs
> in the access log file. If I specifically point the
> browsers to cache servers I get the entries in the
> access logs. I also searched a lot on this in net and
> tried many options, but ended up with the same result.
> Interception is working fine for me in Redhat linux
> 9.0.

To help you diagnose where the problem may be the following components
must all be working for WCCP interception to work

0. Squid needs to work proper when the browser is configured to use the
proxy.

1. Squid and the router needs to be configured properly for WCCP. You can
verify this in the router by verifying that the WCCP cache server is seen
by the router and has assigned hash info.

2. The cache server OS needs to have support for WCCP/GRE decapsulation
configured. You can verify this with tcpdump. When properly set tcpdump
should see both WCCP/GRE packets arriving at the network interface and
TCP/IP packets for port 80 on the corresponding GRE interface (or network
interface if GRE is transparent with no virtual interface of it's own). If
you see only WCCP/GRE packets then the WCCP/GRE decapsulation is most
likely not working properl.

3. Once the decapsulation is working your OS-level firewall needs to have
proper rules for redirecting the port-80 traffic to Squid. When all of
1,2, and 3 is working all traffic will be delivered to Squid and you
should see either the requested site or an error message from Squid.

4. Squid needs to be properly configured for interception proxying. See
FAQ. You can verify this by first verifying that the URLs logged in
access.log is exacly what you requested including host name even when the
browser both when the browser is configured to use the proxy and when it
is not configured to use the proxy, second by using telnet (or a dumb
HTTP/1.0 client) sending a request without a Host header

    telnet www.squid-cache.org
    GET / HTTP/1.0
    [blank line]

Should give you www.squid-cache.org index page, and http://206.168.0.9/