Re: [squid-users] Strange squid restart

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 03:08:22 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Joost de Heer wrote:

> 2005/03/02 09:13:22| Rebuilding COSS storage in
> /opt/squid-master/var/cache/coss0 (CLEAN)

Be warned that COSS is still considered highly experimental...

> 2005/03/02 09:13:22| assertion failed: cbdata.c:163: "type > 0 && type <
> cbdata_types"

A stack trace of the error would help. See Squid FAQ on how to report
bugs.

> I haven't been able to find anything on the 'assert failed' line, which
> seems to have caused the cache to be wiped clean.
>
> Is this a known problem?

Nope.

> If it isn't, this is the first time I see this problem in the few months
> this machine has been running, so I don't know if I can produce a stack
> trace .... (currently core-size is set to 0, so there's no coredump for
> this problem)

Unfortunately not much can be said about the details of this specific
problem without a stack trace..

What I can say is that this assert is highly unexpected, and indicates
something has gone seriously wrong inside your Squid. More specifically
the assert indicates something is trying to allocate memory without
telling proper what should be allocated and this must obviously never
happen..

Just to be sure I would suggest schedule running a memory test on your
server to rule out any memory errors. memtest86 is a good memory tester
for most X86 (Intel/AMD/VIA etc) based hardware.