Re: [squid-users] Force users to accept a disclaimer before allowing access

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 20:06:43 +0100

Hi, Dave...

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 09:55:53AM -0500, Dave Inabinet wrote:
> We are going to be providing Internet access for customers in our
> waiting rooms. I'm looking for a way to have Squid force the user to a
> particular webpage that they have to accept the disclaimer before they
> are allowed to reach any web site without any type of authentication.
> I have seen this done at hotels & other public places.
>
> Does anyone know how to accomplish this with Squid?

If you don't mind a little hacking, then yes. We have discussed that on
IRC for a while and this could be the solution:

- Write a tiny redirector script that keeps track of IP addresses in
  a database.
- Whenever a certain IP hasn't been online for a while redirect the
  user to your 'disclaimer page' and once the disclaimer has been
  agreed to, mark that in the database.

Unfortunately the line that the redirector gets does not contain the
authenticated user's name. Perhaps you can use the IDENT user name (IMHO
it's pretty useless, though).

One user already had set this up but unfortunately disappeared before I
could get his script. Try contacting the author of the web site
http://www.vanheusden.com/ - he should be the author.

Regards
 Christoph

--