Re: [squid-users] spyware acl

From: Kevin <kkadow@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 18:46:10 -0600

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:59:40 -0800, Dave <wintermutecx@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a list of spyware sites to block thats similair to IE-SPYAD for squid?
> https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/history.htm

It wouldn't take much to pull the domain names out of the .reg files from
IE-SPYAD2 and use the data to populate an ACL, it appears at first reading
this use would be acceptable under the terms in License.txt?

The author of IE-SPYAD also provides the AGNIS list, which is in a more
easily parsed format. Specifically, "AGNIS for Outpost" uses flat text lists
which could trivially be used to populate a squid ACL:
   https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm#Outpost

If you extract the "ag-ads.ctl" file (as a text file) into /usr/local/etc/squid,
you could use something like this in "squid.conf" to block AGNIS list of
domains (I haven't tested this):

   acl AGNIS dstdomain "/usr/local/etc/squid/ag-ads.ctl"
   http_access deny AGNIS

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago, and learned that Squid can
handle extensive dstdomain ACLs without negative performance impact.

Kevin Kadow