RE: [squid-users] Problem in understanding squid refresh algorithm...

From: Marco Crucianelli <m.crucianelli@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:48:46 +0100

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 13:16 +0100, Elsen Marc wrote:

> > As I wrote in another post I've got problem with my version
> > of squid. It
> > seems like it doesn't want to cache anything until I set up
> > refresh_pattern with very high values, something like:
> >
> > refresh_pattern . 35000000 100% 35000000
> >
> > I don't know if it's my fault, I mean, maybe there's
> > something wrong in
> > my squid.conf (I've even tried to post it here, but I got no
> > response...)
> >
> > Anyway, I don't really understand that well how squid decide what is
> > fresh (thus it can keep it in cache) or stale (therefore something to
> > purge).
> > Reading squid.conf.default I can read:
> >
> > Basically a cached object is:
> > #
> > # FRESH if expires < now, else STALE
> > # STALE if age > max
> > # FRESH if lm-factor < percent, else STALE
> > # FRESH if age < min
> > # else STALE
> >
> > Here comes the question: how can any object be considered
> > fresh when its
> > expiry time is < than actual time?!?!? If it's already expired how can
> > it be fresh!?!?
>
> - Seriously you are nearly asking why |"@2 < @3"|, whereby those symbols
> denote the mathematical concept of 2 and 3. That @2 thing alone
> has been written books about to explain
>
> - Then you are asking the why about a definition. The definition defines
> freshness and is there to avoud "WHY-NESS".
> As long as expirty time and current time are absolute I see no problem and the '<'
> operator always leads to true or false.
>
> M.

Do I have to forgive myself because I'm not English!?!? I don't know,
maybe it's my fault, maybe I'm not that good to understand and explain
myself...

What I was trying to say, maybe I did misunderstood the meaning of FRESH
and STALE but, IMHO, when the expirytime of an object (let's say 10 am)
is less then the actual time (let's say 11am) that object can't be
fresh! Am I wrong?
I was just asking for an explanation...that's it!