Re: [squid-users] HTTP/1.1 CONNECT truncating

From: Louis Solomon [SteelBytes] <louis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:23:48 +1100

> This abused the CONNECT method and is not supposed to work.
> The CONNECT method is only designed for tunneling of SSL traffic via the
> proxy, not other uses.

can you please direct me to an RFC that supports these statements? as I
believe otherwise.

from rfc 2616 http/1.1:
"9.9 CONNECT This specification reserves the method name CONNECT for use
with a proxy that can dynamically switch to being a tunnel (e.g. SSL
tunneling [44])."

[44] refers to rfc draft "Tunneling TCP based protocols through Web proxy
servers" which says:
"This document specifies a generic tunneling mechanism for TCP based
protocols through Web proxy servers. This tunneling mechanism was initially
introduced for the SSL protocol [SSL] to allow secure Web traffic to pass
through firewalls, but its utility is not limited to SSL. Earlier drafts of
this specification were titled "Tunneling SSL through Web Proxy Servers"
<draft-luotonen-ssl-tunneling-XX.txt>. Implementations of this tunneling
feature are commonly referred to as "SSL tunneling", although, again, it can
be used for tunneling any TCP based protocol."

also, I checked 2.5.stable4, 2.5.stable5, 2.5.stable6, 2.5.stable7,
2.5.stable9 today. 4,5,6 all work. 7 & 9 do not (didn't bother with 8).

some of the entries in the changelog from 6 -> 7
 - [Cosmetic] Limit internal send/receive buffer sizes (Bug #1075)
 - [Minor] Fix race condition in CONNECT and also handle aborts of CONNECT
requests in a more graceful
manner. (Bug #859)

I guess I'm going to have to stay with stable6 for the forseable future.

Louis Solomon
www.SteelBytes.com